The wood industry
The second department in Rhône-Alpes Region for wood production. 35% of the surface area of the Ain is covered by forest.
Tradition and modernityIn a protected environment, the wood industry consists of a broad range of activities in the sectors of wood for working and for fuel. The forestry and harvesting activities (500,000 m³/marketed per year) group together 123 forestry operators and 60 forestry companies.
- 1st department in the Rhône-Alpes in terms of wood production.
- 1/3 of the surface area of Ain (181,200 ha) is covered by forest.
- 900 companies.
- 5,000 employees.
- Turnover of 231 million euros.
Initial processingThere are around fifty sawmills in the Ain, 3 of which are amongst the largest in France. They undertake the initial processing and produce 350,000 m³ of saw timber and 250,000 m³ of related products. The activity represents 950 jobs.
Secondary processingAll activites within the sector are represented:
- furniture – 90 companies and more than 2,000 employees,
- packaging (from the production of light packaging to palettes, box palettes, industrial packaging) with 80% of turnover generated by exports,
- activities linked to the building industry (roof structures, wooden frameworks, height raising, carpentry, decoration, parquet…) – over 1,000 jobs – skilled woodcraftsmen and wood turners, activities based on local tradition with high-quality products.
Wood for energy – buoyant new marketsIn a context in which renewable energy sources are strongly encouraged, wood for energy is a rapidly developing sector: Wood excellence centre in the Bugey, increasing demand for processed heating wood, and increasing popularity of wood boilers and heating systems in the Ain.
Well-adapted training structuresThe sector benefits from a wide range of training programmes, from forestry work to secondary processing professions (carpentry, cabinet-making), and in particular the wood organization at Cormaranche which includes the wood science technical college (timber milling and grinding/sharpening) and other organizations (work based training in roofing).
They are in Ain, what about you ?
- Allard Emballages packaging
- Emin Leydier corrugated fiberboard
- Les fils de Cyril Ducret sawmill
- Monnet-Sève sawmill
- Rabuel wood packaging
- Reine Emballages cartonnages
- Roset seating and contemporary furnishings
- LBSA sawmill