The Ain : the art of living in three dimensions
Are you attracted to sports, relaxation, lazing around, or simply a tranquil setting ?
Close to major international cities, the Ain offers all that and much more : between plains and mountains, gastronomy and culture, the Ain offers a warm welcome, the charm of a well preserved environment and the dynamism of a large department.
The Ain in figures
* Surface area: 5,762 km²
- Population: 559,00 inhabitants
- Maximum altitude: 1,723 m (Crêt de la neige)
- Rivers: 3,600 km
- Industrial and commercial zones: 218
- Day nursery and playgroup places: 1,956
- Registered childminders: 5,337
- Listed monuments: 135
- Museums: 24
- Ski runs: 920 km (cross-country and alpine)
- Climbing areas: 25